Mission San José de Guadalupe

Mission San José

The mission was founded on June 11, 1797 by Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen on a site which was part of a natural highway by way of the Livermore Valley to the San Joaquin Valley. It is the fourteenth of the twenty-one Spanish Missions in Alta California. The missions were founded to secure Spain’s claim to this land and to teach the native people Christianity and the Spanish way of life.